Remove & Install Cylinder Head Assembly
a. remove exhaust manifold
b. remove water temperature regulator
c. remove rocker arm and shaft assemblies
d. remove electronic unit injectors
e. remove valve cover base
f. remove fan drive
1. Remove cover (1) from timing gear cover (2).
2. Disconnect the wire and remove timing sensor (5).
3. Remove one bolt (3) and install a guide bolt (Tool A) as shown. Remove the remaining five bolts (3).
4. Use Tool (B) and a strap to attach a hoist to the camshaft gear (4). Remove camshaft gear (4).
5. Remove bolts (6), thrust washer (7) and adapter (8). Remove Tool (B).
6. Disconnect fuel line (9) from the back of cylinder head (10).
7. Disconnect coolant line (11) and air line (12) from the air compressor.
8. Remove bolt and clamp (13) from fuel line (14). Remove fuel line (14).
9. Remove bolt and wiring harness support clip (16).
10. Disconnect the wires from sensors (15), (17) and ground (18).
11. Remove bolts and spacers (20) and (21) from bracket (19).
12. Remove head bolts (22).
13. Support cylinder head (10) with a hoist as shown. Remove cylinder head (10). Cylinder head (10) weighs 148 kg (325 lb).
14. Remove cylinder head gasket (23).
15. Remove O-ring seals (24) and seals (25).
16. Remove O-ring seal (26).
NOTE: If the cylinder head was removed from the cylinder block because of head gasket failure, see Special Instructions, SEHS9564 for additional information.
NOTE: The following steps are for installing the cylinder head.
Thoroughly clean the spacer plate and bottom surface of the cylinder head assembly. A new spacer plate gasket must be installed when the cylinder head assembly is removed. See the topic “Spacer Plate” in this module.
NOTE: Put a thin film of clean engine oil on the seal and O-ring seals at installation.
17. Use new parts to replace O-ring seals (24), (25), and (26). Install a new cylinder head gasket (23).
18. Fasten a hoist to cylinder head (10). Position cylinder head (10) on the spacer plate.
19. Put 6V-4876 Lubricant on the washers, threads, and the underside of cylinder bolt heads (22). Install cylinder head bolts (22) and washers. Tighten cylinder head bolts (22) as follows:
a. Tighten the cylinder head bolts (22) in the numbered sequence to a torque of 270 ± 15 N·m (200 ± 11 lb ft).
b. Tighten the cylinder head bolts (22) in the numbered sequence to a torque of 450 ± 20 N·m (333 ± 15 lb ft).
c. Again, tighten the cylinder head bolts (22) in the numbered sequence to a torque of 450 ± 20 N·m (333 ± 15 lb ft).
20. Reverse the procedures and Steps 4 through 11. Make sure all surfaces are clean. Check the condition of all components, O-ring seals and gaskets. Use new parts for replacement if needed. Lubricate the O-ring seals with clean engine oil when assembling. Refer to System Operation Testing & Adjusting Module, for further information.
After the cylinder head assembly has been removed, and the camshaft gear is installed, it is necessary to check for correct adjustment of backlash between the camshaft and idler gears. Improper adjustment can result damaged components. See the Systems Operation Testing & Adjusting Module, for the correct tooling and procedure.
21. Install camshaft gear (4). Measure for backlash between camshaft gear (4) and the idler gear. Refer to Systems Operation Testing & Adjusting Module, and adjust as needed.
22. Reverse the procedures and Steps 1 through 3.
a. install fan drive
b. install valve cover base
c. install electronic unit injectors
d. install rocker arm and shaft assemblies
e. install water temperature regulator
f. install exhaust manifold