Remove Timing Gear Cover & Oil Pump
a. remove oil pan
b. remove crankshaft pulley
c. remove fan drive
d. remove air compressor
Fluid Spillage Containment
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the machine. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids. Refer to “Tools And Shop Products Guide”, NENG2500 for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids in Caterpillar machines. Dispose fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
1. Remove tube (1). Remove belt adjuster (2) and fan drive adapter (3).
2. Remove air compressor tube (5). Remove belt adjuster (4) from the timing gear cover.
3. Fasten a hoist to the front of the engine. Remove the bolts that hold support (9) to the support assembly. Lift the engine enough to remove bolts (8) and support (9) from the engine. Put jacks or blocks under the cylinder block, and lower the front of the engine on these.
4. Remove nuts (7) and tachometer drive adapter (6).
5. Loosen clamp (10), and disconnect hose (11) from the timing gear cover.
6. Remove clips (13); then disconnect three lines (12).
7. Remove clamp (14) from the water sleeve.
8. Install Tool (A) on the water sleeve; then push water sleeve (15) into the front cover.
9. Remove two bolts (16), connector (17) and the gasket behind it.
10. Remove bolts (18), elbow (19) and the gasket behind it.
11. Remove bolt (20); then disconnect clamp (21) that holds the oil pump sump tube.
Be extra careful not to cause damage to the crankshaft front seal during removal and installation of the timing gear cover.
12. Install Tooling (B) in the front cover; then fasten a hoist. Remove all the bolts that hold the timing gear cover to the cylinder block. Remove cover (22) and the oil pump. The weight of the timing gear cover and oil pump is 62 kg (136 lb).
Install Timing Gear Cover & Oil Pump
1. Clean the contact surfaces of the cylinder block and timing gear cover. Install the timing gear cover gasket on the cylinder block.
NOTE: Make sure the water sleeves are installed in the timing gear cover. Install the timing gear cover gasket on the cylinder block.
2. Install Tooling (A) on timing gear cover (1).
3. Put the cover in position, and align the dowels and their respective holes. Install the bolts that hold cover (1) to the cylinder block.
4. Connect clamp (3) that holds the oil pump sump tube. Install bolts (2).
5. Install the gasket and elbow (4) on the timing gear cover. Install bolts (5) that hold it.
6. Install gasket and connector (7) in the cover, and install bolts (6) that hold it.
7. Install Tool (B) on water sleeve (8); then push the water sleeve into the cylinder block.
8. Install clamps (9) on the water sleeve.
9. Connect three lines (10), and install clips (11) that hold them.
10. Install hose (13) on the timing gear cover, and install clamp (12).
11. Put engine support (16) in position, and install the bolts (17) that hold it.
12. Fasten a hoist to the front of the engine, and lift it enough to remove the jacks or blocks from under the cylinder block. Lower the engine so support (16) is on the support assembly. Remove the hoist, and install the bolts to hold the support to the support assembly.
13. Put tachometer drive adapter (15) in position, and install nuts (14) to hold it.
14. Install belt adjusters (18) on the timing gear cover. Install air compressor tube (19).
15. Install fan drive adapter (22) and belt adjuster (21).
16. Install tube (20).
a. install air compressor
b. install fan drive
c. install crankshaft pulley
d. install oil pan