The Caterpillar service tools that are listed in Table 1 are required in order to enable a service technician to perform the procedures.
|Required Service Tools|
|JERD2124||Caterpillar Electronic Technician (CAT ET) Version 2004B or later (optional) (1)|
|JERD2129||Date subscription for all engines and machines|
|171-4400||Communication Adapter Gp (CAT ET to ECM interface) (optional) (2)|
|317-7484||Cat Communication Adapter III Gp|
|237-7547||Adapter Cable As. (3)|
|1U-5804||Crimp Tool (12 AWG TO 18 AWG)|
|175-3700||Connector Repair Kit (DT)|
|Two short jumper wires (4)|
|Long extension wire (5)|
|4 mm (hex) key|
|( 1 )||Caterpillar Communications Tool Kit version 2005A or later may also be used.|
|( 2 )||The 7X-1700 Communication Adapter Gp may be used.|
|( 3 )||The 237-7547 Adapter Cable As. is required to adapt the Communication Adapter’s RS-232 serial cable 196-0055 Adapter Cable Assembly to the USB port. The adapter is needed on computers that are not equipped with an RS-232 serial port.|
|( 4 )||Two short jumper wires are needed to check the continuity of some wiring harness circuits by shorting two adjacent terminals together in a connector.|
|( 5 )||A long extension wire may also be needed to check the continuity of some wiring harness circuits.|
The Caterpillar Electronic Technician (Cat ET) or the Caterpillar Communications Tool Kit may be used for configuration, monitoring, and troubleshooting of the PL1000T. The Caterpillar Communications Tool Kit provides the customer with level access to information on the data link. Table 2 lists the information access capabilities and compares the information access capabilities of Cat ET and of Caterpillar Communications Tool Kit.
|Service Tool Capability|
|Service Tool Feature||Caterpillar Electronic Technician||Caterpillar Communication Tool Kit|
|PL1000T ECM Summary||Yes||Yes|
|PL1000T ECM Configuration||Yes||Yes|
|PL1000T ECM Status||Yes||Yes|
|PL1000T ECM Totals||Yes||Yes|
|All other ECM Summary||Yes||Yes|
|All other ECM Configuration||Yes||No|
|All other ECM Status||Yes||No|
|All other ECM Totals||Yes||No|
|All ECM Events||Yes||No|
|All ECM Diagnostics||Yes||No|
|Flash New ECM Software||Yes||No|
(1) Personal computer (PC)
(2) 196-0055 Serial Cable
(3) 171-4401 Communication Adapter As
(4) 207-6845 Adapter Cable As (Data Link)
Note: Items (3), (4), and (5) are part of the 171-4400 Communication Adapter Group .
Use the following procedure to connect Cat ET and the 171-4400 Communication Adapter Gp .
- Turn the machine key switch to the OFF/RESET position. If the key switch is not placed in the OFF/RESET position, the machine may start.
- Connect cable (3) between the “COMPUTER” end of communication adapter (4) and the RS-232 serial port of PC (1) .
- Connect cable (5) between the “DATA LINK” end of communication adapter (4) and the service tool connector.
- Turn the machine key switch to the ON position, then start the ET. The ET will initiate communications with the electronic control modules on the machine. The ET will list the available electronic control modules on the machine after communication has been established. If Cat ET and the communication adapter do not communicate with the ECM, refer to Troubleshooting, “Problem – CAT ET unable to detect any electronic control modules”.