Remove Camshaft Bearings
a) remove crankshaft and gear
b) remove camshaft and gears
NOTE: The crankshaft does not have to be removed for removal and installation of the camshaft bearings, but must be removed to correctly clean the oil passages in the cylinder block.
1. Install tooling (B) through the flywheel housing end of the cylinder block.
2. Install washer (1) and bolt (2) from tool group (A) in the end of the shaft of tooling (B). Remove the bearings from the cylinder block. Start with the front bearing.
3. Thoroughly clean the oil passages and surfaces where the camshaft and bearings fit.
Install Camshaft Bearings
1. Start with the rear camshaft bearing and install the bearings in the cylinder block with tooling (A) and (B). Make sure the oil holes in the bearing are in alignment with the oil holes in the cylinder block.
2. To install the front camshaft bearing, put tube (1) from tool group (B) in position shown with the tube over the boss on the front of the cylinder block and pull the bearing into place. Make sure the oil holes in the bearings are in alignment with the oil holes in the cylinder block.
a) install camshaft and gears
b) install crankshaft and gear