- Remove the stator from the alternator.
- Connect the multimeter leads across each pair of stator leads (1) for a total of three readings.
- Measure the resistance between the stator leads.Expected Results: All readings differ by less than 0.10 ohms.
OK – All readings differ by less than 0.10 ohms. The stator has passed the Continuity Test. Perform the Stator Winding Ground Test.
NOT OK – Any two readings differ by 0.10 ohms or more. The stator has failed. Replace the stator. STOP.
- The stator remains removed from the alternator.
- Connect the multimeter leads across one stator lead (1) and frame (2) .
- Measure the resistance.Expected Result: The resistance is 100000 ohms or more.
OK – The resistance is 100000 ohms or more. Repeat Steps 1 to 3 for the other stator leads (1). If the results are OK, the stator is normal. STOP.
NOT OK – The resistance is less than 100000 ohms. The stator is shorted to the frame. Replace the stator. STOP.