- Remove the rocker arm and shaft. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, “Rocker Arm and Shaft – Remove”.
- Remove the electronic unit injector. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, “Electronic Unit Injector – Remove”.
- Remove the valve mechanism cover base. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, “Valve Mechanism Cover Base – Remove and Install”.
- Remove the fan drive. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, “Fan Drive – Remove”.
|Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, “Caterpillar Dealer Service Tool Catalog” for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Caterpillar products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
- Drain the coolant from the cooling system into a suitable container for storage or for disposal. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, “Cooling System Coolant (ELC) – Change”.
- Remove bolts (7) and remove support assembly (8). Loosen hose assembly (6) to water regulator (3) .
- Disconnect harness assembly (4) .
- Disconnect tube assembly (5) .
- Remove bolts (1) and (2) and the washers.
- Attach a suitable lifting device onto cylinder head (9). The weight of cylinder head (9) is approximately 108 kg (238 lb). Remove cylinder head (9) and the gasket.