Caterpillar electronic service tools are designed to help the service technician perform the following tasks:
- Information access
- System diagnostics
- System calibrations
- System configurations
- Data link communications
The tools that are listed in Table 1 are required in order to enable a service technician to perform the test procedures that are found in this manual.
|Required Service Tools|
|N/A||4 mm Allen Wrench|
|146-4080||Digital Multimeter Gp (RS232)|
|7X-6370||Adapter Cable As (3-PIN BREAKOUT)|
|7X-1715||Adapter Cable As (40-PIN BREAKOUT)|
|1U-5804||Crimp Tool (12−AWG TO 18−AWG)|
|175-3700||Connector Repair Kit (DEUTSCH DT)|
Two short jumper wires are needed to check the continuity of some wiring harness circuits by shorting two adjacent terminals together in a connector. A long extension wire may also be needed to check the continuity of some wiring harness circuits.
Table 2 lists the optional service tools that may be needed during testing or repair.
|Optional Service Tools|
|Digital Pressure Indicator
Engine Pressure Group
|4C-4075||Crimp Tool (4−AWG TO 10−AWG)|
|4C-4911 (1)||Battery Load Tester|
|6V-9130 (2)||Temperature Adapter (MULTIMETER)|
|8T-5319||Connector Tool Group|
|155-5176||AC/DC Current Probe|
|9S-9082||Engine Turning Tool|
|( 1 )||Refer to Special Instructions, SEHS9249, “Use of 4C-4911 Battery Load Tester for 6, 8, and 12 Volt Lead Acid Batteries” and Special Instructions, SEHS7633, “Battery Test Procedure”.|
|( 2 )||Refer to Special Instructions, SEHS8382, “Use of the 6V-9130 Temperature Adapter Group”.|
Cat ET can display the following information:
- Event codes
- Diagnostic codes
- Engine configuration
Cat ET can be used by the technician to perform the following functions:
- Diagnostic tests
- Flash programming
- Configuration of the Electronic Control Module (ECM)
Table 3 lists the software that is required in order to use Cat ET. Always use the latest version of Cat ET that is available.
|Software Requirements for Cat ET|
|JERD2124||Single user license for Cat ET|
|JERD2129||Data subscription for all engines and machines|
Note: For more information regarding the use of Cat ET and the PC requirements for Cat ET, refer to the documentation that accompanies your Cat ET software.
Table 4 lists the standard hardware that is required in order to connect Cat ET.
|Standard Hardware for the Use of Cat ET|
|N/A||Personal Computer (PC)|
|275-5120 (1)||Communication Adapter Gp (CAT ET TO ECM INTERFACE)|
|237-7547 (2)||Adapter Cable As|
|225-5985 (3)||Parallel Port Cable (COMMUNICATION ADAPTER)|
|( 1 )||The 7X-1700 Communication Adapter Gp may also be used.|
|( 2 )||The 237-7547 Adapter Cable As is used to connect to the Universal Serial Bus (USB) on computers that are not equipped with a RS232 serial port.|
|( 3 )||The 225-5985 Parallel Port Cable is required to connect to the parallel port.|
Connecting the Communication Adapter II
(1) Personal Computer (PC)
(2) 237-7547 Adapter Cable As
(3) 196-0055 Adapter Cable As
(4) 225-5985 Parallel Port Cable (COMMUNICATION ADAPTER)
(5) 275-5121 Communication Adapter As
(6) 207-6845 Adapter Cable As
Note: Items (3), (5), and (6) are part of the 275-5120 Communication Adapter Gp .
Use the following procedure in order to connect Cat ET and the Communication Adapter II.
- Remove the electrical power from the ECM.
- Connect communications adapter (5) to a communications port on the PC by using one of the following methods:
- Connect cable (4) between the “COMPUTER” end of communications adapter (5) and the parallel port of PC (1). Be sure to configure Cat ET for the parallel port. This configuration provides the fastest connection.
- Connect cable (3) between the “COMPUTER” end of communication adapter (5) and the RS232 serial port of PC (1) .
- Connect cables (2) and (3) between the “COMPUTER” end of communication adapter (5) and the USB port of PC (1) .
- Connect cable (6) to communication adapter (5) .
- Connect cable (6) to a service tool connector.
- Verify that the “POWER” indicator on the communication adapter is illuminated.
- Establish communication between Cat ET and the ECM.
- If Cat ET and the communication adapter do not communicate with the ECM, refer to troubleshooting without a diagnostic code Troubleshooting, “Electronic Service Tool Does Not Communicate”.
Table 5 lists the optional hardware that is needed in order to connect Cat ET by using a wireless connection.
|Optional Hardware for the Use of Cat ET|
|N/A||Personal Computer (PC)|
|261-3363 (1)||Wireless Communication Adapter Gp|
(1) Personal computer (PC)
(7) 261-4867 Card (PCMCIA)
(8) 239-9955 Communication Radio Gp
(9) 259-3183 Data Link Cable As