1. Remove the four bolts securing the bearing cap (flange mount) or caps (base mount) to the crankcase.
2. Tap the bearing caps lightly to loosen. Do not attempt to pry the bearing caps off. Remove the bearing caps from the crankcase. Discard the gaskets. Clean the gasket surfaces. Do not damage the machined surfaces.
3. Remove the oil seal from the front bearing cap and discard.
4. On air compressors having rear ball bearings, remove the O-ring, when present, and discard.
5. On air compressors that are bottom oiled, remove the dumb-bell from between the crankcase and the rear bearing cap. Remove and discard the O-ring on the dumb-bell.