|| Ring Expander
|| Bearing Removal Tool
|| Support Plate
Note: Refer to Specification UENR0995 "Engine Design" for non-specified engine Torque Values.
Note: The C3.3B has three different piston heights that very 0.05 mm (0.002 inch) from each. Refer to the following Table 2 to ensure that the same piston height is replaced. If the same piston height is replaced, then the same head gasket thickness can be used. If a different piston height is used, then check the piston height to determine the proper head gasket thickness. Refer to "Cylinder Head - Remove and Install" for the correct head gasket.
|Code Stamped on Standard Piston
||Standard Replacement Piston
||0.50 mm Oversized Piston
||Code Stamped on Oversized Piston
- Ensure that all components are clean and free from wear and damage. If necessary, replace any components that are worn or damaged.
- Inspect the connecting rod for wear and damage. If necessary, replace connecting rod (5) or replace connecting rod bushing (9) .
Note: If connecting rod (5) or the bushing (9) for connecting rod pin are replaced, refer to Specifications, "Connecting Rods" for the correct procedure.
- Place the piston on a suitable surface with the crown upward. Use Tooling (B) in order to install connecting rod bushing (9) into connecting rod (5) .
- Check connecting rod bushing (9) . If necessary, install connecting rod bearings (6) into connecting rod (5) and connecting rod cap (8) . Inspect bolts (7) or replace with new for assembly later.
- Lubricate the bore for the piston wrist pin (3) with clean engine oil.
- Place piston (1) on a suitable surface with the crown downward. Position connecting rod (5) with the markings (5A) on same side as the arrow mark (5B) on top of the piston.
- Install piston wrist pin (3) into piston (1) . Install retaining ring (4) .
- Position the connecting rod and piston (1) into a soft jaw vise. Use Tooling (A) in order to install three rings (2) onto piston (1) .
- If the original piston is assembled, follow Step 9.a through Step 9.e in order to install the piston rings.
- Position the spring for the oil control ring into the oil ring groove in piston (1) . The central wire must be located inside the end of the spring.
- Position the oil control ring with the word "TOP" in the upward position and use Tooling (A) to install over the piston and the spring. Refer to illustration 7.
Note: Ensure that the central wire is 180 degrees from the ring gap.
- Use Tooling (A) to install the intermediate compression ring into the second groove in piston (1) . The word "TOP" must be upward. The chamfer on the inner face must be downward. Refer to illustration 7.
- Use Tooling (A) to install top the compression ring into the top groove in piston (1) . The manufacturing mark must be upward. Refer to illustration 7.
- Position piston ring (2) gaps at 120 degrees away from each other.
- Repeat Step 2 through Step 9.e for the remaining piston and connecting rod assemblies.
Install pistons and the connecting rods.