Conditions Which Generate This Code:
Schematic of the Fuel Level Sender
This diagnostic code is associated with the fuel level sender. The FMI 04 means that the ECM has determined that the voltage of the circuit for the position sender is below normal.
The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed:
- The signal circuit for the sender is shorted to ground.
- The sender has failed.
- The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.
Note: The following test procedure may create other diagnostic codes. Ignore these created diagnostic codes and clear the diagnostic codes when the original diagnostic code has been corrected. Ensure that the diagnostic code of CID 0096 FMI 04 is active before performing this procedure.
Note: Use the 146-4080 Digital Multimeter for the measurements in this procedure.
Test Step 1. CHECK THE SENDER
- Turn the key start switch to the ON position.
- Ensure that the diagnostic code is active.
- Observe the status of the diagnostic code. Disconnect the sender from the machine harness.
The CID 0096 FMI 04 remains active. The FMI has not changed and the "04" is still active.
- OK - The diagnostic code remains active. The sender is correct. Proceed to Test Step 2.
- NOT OK - The diagnostic code is no longer active. The sender has failed.
Repair: Replace the sender.
Test Step 2. CHECK THE WIRING HARNESS OF THE SENDER FOR A SHORT TO GROUND.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and turn the key start switch to the OFF position.
- Disconnect the machine harness from the sender.
- Disconnect the machine harness connector(s) from the monitor.
- At the machine harness connector for the monitor, measure the resistance from the signal contact 1 (wire 469-GN) of the machine harness to all possible sources of ground. Measure the resistance to all contacts of the machine harness connectors for the monitor.
Each resistance measurement is greater than 5000 ohms.
- OK - Each resistance measurement is greater than 5000 ohms. The machine harness is correct. Proceed to Test Step 3.
- NOT OK - One or more resistance measurements is not correct. There is a short in the machine harness.
Repair: The short is between signal contact 1 (wire 469-GN) and the circuit with the low resistance measurement. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.
Test Step 3. CHECK IF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE REMAINS.
- Inspect the contacts of the harness connectors and clean the contacts.
- Reconnect all harness connectors.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable and turn the key start switch to the ON position.
- Operate the machine.
- Check the status of the CID 0096 FMI 04.
The CID 0096 FMI 04 is active.
- YES - The CID 0096 FMI 04 is active. The diagnostic code has not been corrected. The ECM may have failed.
Repair: It is unlikely that the ECM has failed. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. If the cause of the diagnostic code is not found, replace the ECM. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".
- NO - The CID 0096 FMI 04 is not active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time.
Repair: The initial diagnostic code was probably caused by a poor electrical connection or a short at one of the harness connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal machine operation.