|Tool||Part Number||Part Description||Qty|
|A||4C-3601||Piston Ring Expander||1|
|B||1P-1861||Retaining Ring Pliers||1|
|C||5P-8639||Hydraulic Press (CONNECTING ROD BEARING)||1|
|1P-2375||Quick Connect Coupler||1|
|1P-2376||Quick Connect Coupler||1|
|9U-6600||Hand Hydraulic Pump||1|
Note: Prior to removal from the engine, the pistons and connecting rod assemblies were marked. The components must be reassembled together. The components must be installed in the original location in the engine. Do not interchange any of the components.
|Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
- Use Tooling (C) to remove the old bearing and install the new bearing (6) at the same time. The adapter of Tooling (C) should make full contact with the surfaces of connecting rod (3) .Note: Orient the bearing joint within 12 ± 5 degrees of either Location (X) .
NOTICE The connecting rod must be heated for the installation of the piston pin bearing. Do not use a torch.
- Raise the temperature of connecting rod (3) along Length (Y) .(Y) Maximum Length for heating the connecting rod … 75 ± 5 mm (3.0 ± 0.2 inch)
- Allow the connecting rod and the bearing to cool to room temperature.
- Use the following procedure to install piston rings (4) .
- Position the spring for the oil control ring in the oil ring groove in the piston body assembly.
- Position the oil control ring over the spring. Position the oil control ring so that the gap is 180 degrees from the joint in the spring. Use Tooling (A) to install the oil control ring on the piston.
- Use Tooling (A) to install the intermediate piston ring with the side that has the identification “UP-2” toward the top of the piston.
- Use Tooling (A) to install the top piston ring with the side that has the identification “UP-1” toward the top of the piston.
- Position piston rings (4) so the gaps are 120 degrees from each other.
- Check the clearance between the ends of piston rings (4). Refer to Specifications, “Piston And Rings”.
- Position piston (1) on connecting rod (3). Apply clean engine oil to piston pin (5) and install the piston pin. Use Tooling (B) to install retaining ring (2). Make sure that the retaining rings are fully seated in the grooves of the piston assembly.
End By: Install the pistons and the connecting rods. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, “Pistons and Connecting Rods – Install”.