Note: Install the crankshaft main bearings dry when clearance checks are performed. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, “Bearing Clearance – Check”. Apply clean engine oil on the crankshaft main bearings for final assembly.
Note: Ensure that the tabs on the back side of the crankshaft main bearings fit in the grooves of the crankshaft main bearing caps and the cylinder block.
- Use Tooling (A) and install the upper halves of the crankshaft main bearings in the cylinder block. Do not apply oil on the back of the crankshaft main bearing.
- Install the lower halves of the crankshaft main bearings in crankshaft main bearing caps (2). Do not apply oil on the back of the crankshaft main bearing.
|Crankshaft main bearing caps should be installed with the part number toward the right side of the engine. Crankshaft main bearing caps are to be identified by stamped numbers 1 through 7 located on the bottom surface. The thrust plate is used on the number 6 crankshaft main bearing only.|
- Place crankshaft main bearing caps (2) in position on the cylinder block. Apply clean engine oil or Molylube on the bolt threads and on the washer face. Install bolts (1) .
- Tighten bolts (1) to a torque of 54 ± 7 N·m (40 ± 5 lb ft). Tighten each bolt (1) for an additional 90 ± 5 degrees (1/4 turn).
- Check the end play of the crankshaft with Tooling (B). The end play must be 0.07 to 0.32 mm (0.003 to 0.013 inch).
End By: Install the engine oil pump. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, “Engine Oil Pump – Install”.