- Remove the core. Refer to the Service Manual for the procedure.
- Turn the aftercooler core upside-down in order to remove debris.
|Do not use a high concentration of caustic cleaner to clean the core. A high concentration of caustic cleaner can attack the internal metals of the core and cause leakage. Only use the recommended concentration of cleaner.|
- Back flush the core with cleaner.Caterpillar recommends the use of Hydrosolv liquid cleaner. Table 1 lists Hydrosolv liquid cleaners that are available from your Caterpillar dealer.
Table 1 Hydrosolv Liquid Cleaners (1) Part Number Description Size 1U-5490 Hydrosolv 4165 19 L (5 US gallon) 174-6854 Hydrosolv 100 19 L (5 US gallon) ( 1 ) Use a two to five percent concentration of the cleaner at temperatures up to 93°C (200°F). Refer to Application Guide, NEHS0526 or consult your Caterpillar dealer for more information.
- Steam clean the core in order to remove any residue. Flush the fins of the aftercooler core. Remove any other trapped debris.
- Wash the core with hot, soapy water. Rinse the core thoroughly with clean water.
- Dry the core with compressed air. Direct the air in the reverse direction of the normal flow.
- Inspect the core in order to ensure cleanliness. Pressure test the core. Many shops that service radiators are equipped to perform pressure tests. If necessary, repair the core.
- Install the core. Refer to the Service Manual for the procedure.
For more information on cleaning the core, consult your Caterpillar dealer.