Use this procedure if the diagnostic code in Table 1 is active.
|Diagnostic Trouble Codes|
|CDL Code||J1939 Code||Code Description
(code descriptions may vary)
|1551-13||Engine Demand Fan System : Calibration Required||The code is logged.|
The Electronic Control Module (ECM) supplies current to the engine fan control solenoid. The engine fan control solenoid controls the pressure to the fan pump by allowing oil to bypass the fan pump. The fan pump drives the fan. For accuracy, the ECM must determine the relationship between the current to the engine fan control solenoid and the actual fan speed. Caterpillar Electronic Technician (ET) enables the user to calibrate the current to a known fan speed manually.
Note: The ECM will use a nominal current to drive the engine fan control solenoid on the initial calibration. The ECM uses the last calibrated value as the starting point on subsequent calibrations.
- Select the “Service” tab and select “Calibrations”. Start the “Fan Calibration”.
- Meet the required conditions in order to proceed with the calibration. Follow the directions that are provided on Cat ET. Proceed by pressing the “Next” button.
- Measure actual fan speed with the following service tools and Software License, NETG5044:
- 348-5430 Multi-Tool Gp
- 308-7264 Multitach Tool Gp ()
- If actual fan speed matches the fan speed on Cat ET, press the “Next” button.
- Actual fan speed may not match the fan speed on Cat ET. The current must then be decremented or incremented in order to change fan speed.
- When actual fan speed matches the fan speed on Cat ET, the calibration is complete. Follow the directions that are provided on Cat ET.