Remove & Install Fuel Filter & Base
Fluid Spillage Containment
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the machine. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids. Refer to “Tools And Shop Products Guide”, NENG2500 for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids in Caterpillar machines. Dispose of fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
1. Remove the fuel priming pump. See the topic “Remove & Install Fuel Priming Pump” in this module.
2. Disconnect fuel lines (1) and (2). Plug and cap all openings to prevent debris and contamination from entering the system.
3. Use Tool (A) to remove fuel filter (3) from the fuel filter base.
4. Remove two bolts (4) and fuel filter base (5).
NOTE: The following steps are for installation of the fuel filter and base.
5. Put fuel filter base (5) in position and install bolts (4).
6. Install fuel filter (3) on the fuel filter base. Follow the instructions on the filter for the correct installation procedure.
7. Connect fuel lines (1) and (2) to the fuel filter base.
8. Install the fuel priming pump. See the topic “Remove & Install Fuel Priming Pump” in this module.
9. Remove the air from the fuel system. Refer to the Operation & Maintenance Manual for further information.