The PL1000E is “flashed” in order to upgrade the software. Flash programming of the ECM must also be done if the ECM has been replaced. The Caterpillar Electronic Technician (ET) contains the program WinFlash. WinFlash is used in order to load software into an ECM.
Three communications adapters are available in order to flash electronic control modules:
- 7X-1700 Communication Adapter Gp
- 171-4400 Communication Adapter Gp
- Embedded Communications Adapter (ECA) is available on serial port 3 of the ECM. The ECA feature supports ECM flashing functionality when application software is installed on the ECM. If a “Blank Box” condition occurs due to connection related probems or due to power lost during the flashing procedure for the PL1000E, then use of the 171-4400 Communication Adapter Group will be necessary in order to flash the PL1000E.
Perform the following procedure in order to flash program the PL1000E:
- Connect the appropriate data link cable between the communication adapter and the personal computer (PC) that contains Cat ET software. When using the ECA, the data link cable is a serial connection directly between the PC and serial port 3 of the ECM .
- When the ECA is not used, connect the data link cable between the communication adapter and the diagnostic connector of the engine. If the ECA is used, the ECA is already connected to the system by the use of the standard Cat DataLink or J1939 connection.
- Use WinFlash in order to load the software.