Whenever the solenoid is installed, the pinion clearance should be adjusted. The adjustment should be made with the starting motor removed.
CONNECTIONS FOR CHECKING PINION CLEARANCE
1. Connector from MOTOR terminal on solenoid to motor. 2. SW terminal. 3. Ground terminal.
Bench test and adjust the pinion clearance at installation of solenoid as follows:
1. Install the solenoid without connector (1) from the MOTOR terminal on solenoid to the motor.
2. Connect a battery, of the same voltage as the solenoid, to the terminal (2), marked SW.
3. Connect the other side of battery to ground terminal (3).
PINION CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENT
4. Shaft nut. 5. Pinion. 6. Pinion clearance.
4. MOMENTARILY flash a jumper wire from the solenoid terminal marked MOTOR to the ground terminal. The pinion will shift into cranking position and will remain there until the battery is disconnected.
5. Push pinion toward commutator end to eliminate free movement.
6. Pinion clearance (6) should be .36 in. (9.1 mm).
7. Adjust clearance by removing plug and turning shaft nut (4).