9S8521 Rod.9S8518 Plug.8S4627 Circuit Tester.1P2385 Protractor Tool.
Four adjustments must be made: 1: linkage adjustment. 2: low speed setting. 3: high speed setting. 4: regulation, and surge. For any given output shaft governor setting, the regulation is the range or spread between the torque converter output shaft speed at no load and the output shaft speed at full load, with the diesel engine governor control, in the full open position.
The torque converter output shaft maximum speed is either a high speed setting or a low speed setting, which is determined by changing the position of the speed change lever (4), normally by remote control. The high speed screw (9) determines the maximum speed for the high speed setting, and the low speed screw (8) determines the maximum low speed setting. Consult the operator’s manual for the equipment in which the engine is installed to ascertain the maximum permissible output shaft speed for the driven equipment.
NOTE: Perform the first nine steps with the engine stopped.
OUTPUT SHAFT GOVERNOR ADJUSTMENT
1. Terminal lever. 2. Rate adjusting screw. 3. Adjustable rod. 4. Speed change lever. 5. Governor spring. 6. Bumper screw. 7. Rocker shaft lever. 8. Low speed adjusting screw. 9. High speed adjusting screw. 10. Bracket.
1. Disconnect the adjustable rod (3) from the terminal lever (1) and the other adjustable linkage (15) between the servo mechanism and standard governor.
2. Position the speed change lever (4) with low and high speed adjusting screws (8) and (9) so the rate adjusting screw (2) and the governor spring (5) are approximately parallel to rocker shaft lever (7).
NOTE: A remote control may be attached to the lower portion of speed change lever (4). If so, disconnect it.
3. Turn the rate adjusting screw until a slight tension is maintained on the governor spring. This will position the governor weights in the closed position.
4. Adjust linkage rod (3) between terminal lever (1) and servo boost mechanism so that it moves .08 in. (2,03 mm) before lever (16) starts to move. Install rod (3).
5. Retract the speed limiter with a 9S8521 Rod and 9S8518 Plug and move the governor control to full speed position.
6. Rotate shutoff shaft external lever (14) until shutoff internal lever (13) contacts the rack stop collar (12). This can be determined by use of circuit tester connected to the insulated terminal (11).
GOVERNOR LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
11. Insulated terminal. 12. Stop collar. 13. Shutoff internal lever. 14. Shutoff shaft external lever. 15. Linkage. 16. Servo boost output lever.
7. Adjust the linkage (15) to fit lever holes when shutoff external lever contacts rack stop collar (12). Then increase linkage (15) length .06 in. (1,52 mm) and install the linkage.
8. Back out bumper screw (6) until approximately 3/4 inch of the screw is protruding from the governor housing.
NOTE: Illustrated here are three basic usages of 1P2385 Protractor Tool.
1P2385 PROTRACTOR TOOL USAGE
A-Angle setting indicator. B-Protractor plate edge aligned with lever. C-Vertical housing face and extension arm alignment. D-Level bubble. E-Angle setting indicator. F-Extension arm aligned with lever. G-Extension arm aligned with lever. H-Plate edge aligned with second lever. I-Angle setting indicator.
9. Fill the output shaft governor to the proper level with SAE 30 lubricating oil. The proper level can be checked by removing the small oil plug located in the drive cable end of the governor housing.
10. Start the diesel engine. After a reasonable warm-up period move the diesel engine governor control lever to the full open position.
11. Adjust the output shaft speed to the maximum desired low speed with the aid of the speed adjusting screw (8). Turn the screw clockwise to raise the speed and counterclockwise to lower the speed.
12. If a surging condition is encountered, back off the nut on the rate adjusting screw one full turn. Turn the low speed adjusting screw clockwise to return the output shaft speed to the desired rpm. Continue this procedure until all surge is removed. If it is not possible to remove all surge, set the governor at the setting which will produce the least amount of surge and remove the remaining surge by turning the bumper screw clockwise until it just makes contact with the rocker yoke.
13. With the output shaft running at the desired speed setting, turn the high speed adjusting screw (9) until the end of the screw contacts the stop bracket (10). Lock the high speed screw in this position.
14. Adjustment of the low speed adjustment screw (8) should be made to return the setting to the desired low speed adjustment.