Remove Shutoff Housing, Check Valve & Bypass Valve
Fluid Spillage Containment
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the machine. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids. Refer to “Tools And Shop Products Guide”, NENG2500 for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids in Caterpillar machines. Dispose fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Before any service is done on the fuel system, the outer surface of the injection pump housing must be clean.
1. Disconnect wires (2) from the shutoff solenoid.
2. Disconnect fuel supply tube (3) and fuel return tube (1) from the fuel injection pump housing.
3. Disconnect air bleed tubes (4) and (5) from the fuel injection pump housing.
4. Remove the two bolts to remove flange (7), flange assembly (6) and the gaskets from the fuel injection pump housing.
5. If necessary, remove check valve (8) from flange assembly (6).
6. Remove the bolts, and remove shutoff housing cover (9) from the fuel injection pump housing.
7. Remove shutoff solenoid (10) from the shutoff housing cover.
8. Remove bolts (11) to remove the shutoff housing cover from the shutoff housing.
9. Remove two screws to remove lever (13) from the shutoff housing.
10. Remove lever (14) and shaft (15) as a unit and shaft (12) from the shutoff housing. Remove the screws to remove lever (14) from shaft (15).
11. Remove seal (16) from the shutoff housing.
12. Remove spring (17) and bypass valve (18) from the fuel injection pump housing.
Install Shutoff Housing, Check Valve & Bypass Valve
1. Install bypass valve (2) and spring (1) in the fuel injection pump housing.
2. Put 7M-7260 Liquid Gasket Materialon the outside diameter of the seal, and install the seal with Tooling (A) in the shutoff housing with the lip toward the outside. The outer face of the seal must be 1.00 mm (.039 in)below the surface of the housing. Remove the extra sealing compound from the housing and the seal after installation.
3. Install lever (4) on shaft (6) with the screws to hold these together. Put shaft (3) and shaft (6) in position in shutoff housing (5). Make sure lever (4) is correctly engaged with the groove (slot) on shaft (3).
4. Install lever (7) and the screws to hold it on shaft (6).
5. Install shutoff housing cover (5) on shutoff housing (8).
6. Install shutoff solenoid (9) on the shutoff housing cover.
7. Install shutoff housing cover (8) on the fuel injection pump housing.
8. If necessary, install a new check valve (10) in flange assembly (11).
9. Install a gasket, flange assembly (11), a gasket, flange (16) and the two bolts on the fuel injection pump housing.
10. Connect air bleed tubes (17) and (15) to the fuel injection pump housing.
11. Connect fuel return tube (12) and fuel supply tube (14) to the fuel injection pump housing.
12. Connect wires (13) to the shutoff solenoid.