Remove Water Pump
Fluid Spillage Containment
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the machine. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids. Refer to “Tools And Shop Products Guide”, NENG2500 for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids in Caterpillar machines. Dispose fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
1. Drain the coolant from the cooling system into a suitable container for storage or disposal.
2. Remove the vee belts from the front of the engine.
3. Remove bolts (1) and pointer (3). Remove water pump (2) and the gasket from the timing gear cover.
Install Water Pump
1. Put the gasket and water pump (2) in position in the timing gear cover.
2. Install pointer (3) and bolts (1) to hold water pump (2) in position.
3. Put the vee belts in position on the engine.
4. Use a belt tension gauge such as Borroughs Tool Company Part No. BT-33-72Cor an equivalent, and make an adjustment of the vee belts. Tighten new belts until the gauge indication is 120 ± 5. Operate the engine at high idle for a minimum of 30 minutes. Make another adjustment of the belt tension. The correct gauge indication for used belts is 90 ± 10. Tighten the bolts that hold the alternator.
5. Fill the cooling system with coolant to the correct level. See the Operation & Maintenance Manual.
Disassemble Water Pump
a. remove water pump
1. Hold the pump shaft in a vise as shown, and remove the bolt and pulley (1).
The press must have a guard. The guard has been removed for photo illustration.
2. Use Tooling (A) and a press to remove the shaft, seal and impeller from housing (2) as shown.
3. Remove bearing (3) from housing (2).
4. Remove spacer (4) from housing (2).
5. Use Tool (B) to remove ring (5) from housing (2). Remove bearing (6) from housing (2).
6. Use a press and Tool (C) to remove the shaft and seal assembly from impeller (7) as shown.
7. Install the seal assembly and shaft in housing (2) as shown. Use a press and Tool (C) to remove the shaft from the seal assembly.
Assemble Water Pump
1. Install bearing (1) in housing (3). Use Tool (A) to install ring (2) that holds bearing (1) in position.
2. Install spacer (4) in housing (3).
3. Make sure the outside diameter of bearing (5) and the bore in housing (3) are clean and dry. Install bearing (5) in housing (3).
NOTE: Put Loctite No. 242 Adhesive/Sealant on outer bearing O.D. and housing bore before assembly.
4. Turn the pump housing over, and make sure that the bores in the bearings and spacer are in alignment. Install the shaft through the bearings from the impeller side of the housing.
NOTE: The shaft to bearing clearance can be 0.018 mm (.0007 in) loose to 0.008 mm (.0003 in)tight. If it is necessary to use a press to install the shaft, make sure the inner races of the bearings have support.
5. Install pulley (6) on the shaft, and tighten the bolt to a torque of 75 ± 7 N·m (55 ± 5 lb ft).
6. Put a new seal assembly (7) on the shaft as shown.
7. Use Tool (B) and a press to install the seal assembly in housing (3). Do notuse a hammer to install the seal.
8. Put Tool (D) between impeller (8) and the pump housing.
9. Use a press and Tool (C) to install impeller (8) on the shaft until Tool (D) can be moved between the housing and impeller.
10. If the impeller is installed too far, and Tool (D) cannot be removed, turn the pump over, and remove the pulley. Use Tooling (E) and press to push the shaft out of the bearings enough to remove Tool (D). Install the pulley, and tighten the bolt to a torque of 75 ± 7 N·m (55 ± 5 lb ft).
a. install water pump