Remove Oil Pump & Relief Valve
a. remove timing gear cover and oil pump
Fluid Spillage Containment
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the machine. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids. Refer to “Tools And Shop Products Guide”, NENG2500 for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids in Caterpillar machines. Dispose fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
1. Bend the locks away from bolts (1), and remove the bolts. Remove cover (2) from the timing gear cover.
2. Remove guide (5), spring (4) and plunger (3) from the cover.
3. Remove O-ring seal (6) from the back of the cover.
4. Remove inner rotor (7) and outer rotor (8) from the timing gear cover.
5. Measure the inside diameter of bearing (9). The inside diameter must be 71.22 ± 0.05 mm (2.804 ± .002 in). Remove bearing (9) only if a replacement is necessary. Remove shaft (10) if a replacement is necessary.
Install Oil Pump & Relief Valve
1. Thoroughly clean all of the parts. Put clean engine oil on all of the pump parts.
2. If the bearing was removed from the timing gear cover, install a new bearing with Tool (A). Make sure the bearing is installed with the joint in the position shown in illustration A51104P2.
3. If the shaft was removed from the timing gear cover, install the new shaft so dimension “X” from the top of the shaft to the counterbore in the cover is 36.14 ± 0.25 mm (1.423 ± .010 in).
4. Install inner rotor (1) and outer rotor (2) in the timing gear cover.
NOTE: Make a replacement of BOTH rotors if the clearance is not correct. The rotors cannot be ordered separately.
5. Measure the clearance between the rotors with a feeler gauge. The clearance must be 0.05 to 0.20 mm (.002 to .008 in). The maximum permissible clearance is 0.28 mm (.011 in).
6. Put plunger (3), spring (4) and guide (5) in the cover. Use a (1-1/8 in)crow foot wrench and torque wrench to tighten guide (5) to a torque of 40 ± 7 N·m (30 ± 5 lb ft). A slide rule type torque computer, SEHS7150, is available to find the torque wrench dial reading for different extension.
7. Install O-ring seal (6) on the cover, and put the cover in position on the timing gear cover. Install the locks and bolts that hold the cover in place.
8. Check the oil pump and clearance with a feeler gauge. The end clearance must be 0.069 to 0.135 mm (.0027 to .0053 in).
NOTE: If the clearance is not correct, make a replacement of BOTH rotors or the cover.
a. install timing gear cover and oil pump