Remove & Install Governor & Fuel Pump Drive
a. remove timing gear cover & oil pump
1. Remove the plug from the fuel injection pump housing and install timing pin [Tool (A)].
2. While turning the crankshaft clockwise (as seen from the front of the engine), push on the timing pin [Tool (A)] until it slides into the groove (slot) in the fuel injection pump camshaft.
3. Remove screw (1) and washer (2).
4. Remove governor and fuel pump drive (3).
NOTE: The following steps are for installation of the governor and fuel pump drive.
5. If the timing mark on the crankshaft and the timing mark on the camshaft gear are not in alignment, turn the crankshaft clockwise (as seen from the front of the engine) until the marks are in alignment.
6. Put the dowels in the gear in alignment with the holes in the weights and install governor and fuel pump drive (3).
7. Put pin (4) in washer (2) in alignment with hole (5) and install the washer.
Camshaft removed for photo purposes
Put marks (stake) on screw (1) carefully. Too much force pushes the shaft extension into the camshaft and takes away all end clearance.
8. Install screw (1) and tighten it to a torque of 7.9 ± 0.6 N·m (70 ± 5 lb in). Put marks (stake) on the screw in two places with a hammer and punch.
9. After marks (stake) are put on screw (1), the end clearance for the gear and weight assembly must be 0.08 to 0.94 mm (.003 to .037 in). This end clearance will prevent binding against the washer, camshaft end, or camshaft gear.
a. install timing gear cover & oil pump