Remove Engine Oil Cooler & Oil Filter Base
Fluid Spillage Containment
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the machine. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids. Refer to “Tools And Shop Products Guide”, NENG2500 for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids in Caterpillar machines. Dispose fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
NOTE: It is not necessary to remove the oil pan.
1. Drain the coolant from the cooling system into a suitable container for storage or disposal.
2. Use Tooling (A), and remove oil filters (2).
3. Loosen clamps (1), and disconnect the hoses.
4. Remove bolt (4) and the three bolts from behind the oil cooler.
5. Remove oil filter base and engine oil cooler (3) as a unit.
Install Engine Oil Cooler & Oil Filter Base
1. Inspect the O-ring seals in the oil filter base. Install new seals if needed. Put clean engine oil on the seal.
2. Put oil filter base and oil cooler (1) in position on the engine.
3. Install the four bolts that hold the oil cooler in place.
4. Connect the two hoses, and install clamps (2).
5. Install new oil filters (3). See the instructions on the oil filter.
Disassemble Engine Oil Cooler & Oil Filter Base
a. remove engine oil cooler and oil filter base
1. Remove bolts (1), and separate cover (2) from the oil filter base.
2. Remove nuts (3), and separate the oil cooler from oil filter base (4).
3. Remove divider (6) from oil cooler (5).
4. Remove plug (9), spring (8) and bypass valve (7).
5. Remove plug (12), spring (11) and bypass valve (10) from the oil filter base.
Assemble Engine Oil Cooler & Oil Filter Base
1. Put valve (1) and spring (2) in position in oil filter base (4).
2. Install plug (3).
3. Put the valve and spring (5) in position, and install plug (6).
4. Put divider (7) in position between the fifth and sixth plates from the flange and on the same end as the short stud.
5. Install oil filter base (4) in position on oil cooler (8), and install the nuts. Tighten the nuts to a torque of 22 ± 3 N·m (16 ± 2 lb ft).
6. Install the gasket, cover (9) and the bolts.
a. install engine oil cooler and oil filter base