NOTE: Before performing this maintenance, determine the type of coolant that is being used. This maintenance applies ONLY to cooling systems that are filled with conventional heavy duty coolant/antifreeze such ad Caterpillar Diesel Engine Antifreeze/Coolant (DEAC).
Test for SCA Or Obtain Level I Analysis
Check the cooling system only after the engine is stopped and cool. Remove the filler cap slowly to relieve pressure. To prevent engine damage, never add cooling system products to an overheated engine. Allow the engine to cool first.
The use of Caterpillar SCA will prevent internal damage to the engine, such as liner or block pitting. If the SCA concentration is too low, pitting of the cylinder wall may occur, which can lead to costly engine damage.
If the SCA concentration is too high, sludge and mud-like deposits may form in the cooling system. This adversely affects engine performance and can also lead to costly repairs of the engine and cooling system.
Use the 4C-9301 Test Kit or use the 8T-5296 Test Kit to check for SCA concentration. Add SCA if the concentration is too low. If the SCA concentration is excessive, drain half the coolant, and replace with the proper water/antifreeze mixture.
NOTE: You may test your coolant SCA concentration OR have the SCA concentration tested as part of a S·O·S Coolant Analysis (Level I).
Obtain Level I Analysis
S·O·S Coolant Analysis is an excellent way to monitor the condition of your coolant and your cooling system.
Level I: Basic Coolant Maintenance Check
Checks for correct chemical balance for proper heat and corrosion control. Test for:
* SCA concentrations
S·O·S Coolant Analysis results and recommendations are usually made within 24 hours. Consult with your Caterpillar dealer for more information.
Add Liquid Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA)
1. Loosen the radiator filler cap slowly in order to relieve any pressure. Remove the radiator filler cap.
2. It may be necessary to drain enough coolant from the radiator to allow for the addition of the liquid SCA.
3. Add liquid SCA according to the requirements for your cooling system capacity. Refer to the Caterpillar SCA Requirements For Heavy Duty Coolant/Antifreeze chart in the Coolant Specifications.
4. Install the radiator filler cap. Start the engine and inspect for coolant leaks. Stop the engine.
5. Check the coolant level. Add coolant if necessary. Clean the radiator filler cap. Inspect the radiator filler cap. If the gaskets are damaged, replace the old radiator filler cap with a new radiator filler cap. Install the radiator filler cap.